What is the difference between a Conveyancer and a Conveyancing Lawyer?

Conveyancer Conveyancing Lawyer
Has obtained an Advanced Diploma/ Diploma of Conveyancing Has completed tertiary study to obtain a Bachelor of Law
Has completed a minimum of 12 months supervised practice under a licensed conveyancer/ lawyer. Has a vast understanding of the law and how property transactions relate to other areas of law
A conveyancer can only engage in conveyancing work as defined by May be able to provide greater assistance when transactions become more complex or litigious
Unable to provide specific advice and would need to refer clients to a solicitor should the transaction become complex or litigious. Able to provide advice in relation to the transaction

Transfer of Land: The process of changing the ownership details on a Title (deed) to a parcel of land.

Volume and Folio: Volume and folios are unique identifiers used in the numbering system that identifies individual land titles.

Encumbrance: An encumbrance is an interest in a piece of land by someone other than the registered owner. Encumbrances place limitations on a property. Examples include mortgages, easements, leases and restrictive covenants.

Easement: Easements are a right held by someone to use land belonging to someone else for a specific purpose. Common examples of easements are drainage, sewerage and carriageway easements

Caveat: A legal document that individuals with a legal interest in a property can lodge to notify future prospective purchasers and third parties of their legal interest in a parcel of land.

Adverse possession: Adverse possession is a legal rule that enables the occupier of a piece of land to obtain ownership of it, provided they can prove uninterrupted and exclusive possession of the land for at least 15 years.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *